Sunday 4 December 2016

Utilize Your Time in School Outside of Class Time and Connect With Students

If you are working as an ESL Teacher in a school then you really must make it a policy to use every opportunity you can to get your students talking English. I have always enjoyed playground duty as it allows the teacher to interact with students in a more personal and less formal way than in the classroom.
Free periods should also be utilized, at our school I often take walks around the school premises and take any opportunity I can to start up a conversation with students. I am lucky in that I can speak a bit of the local language but even so I endeavor to bring as much English as I can into my informal conversations with students outside of class time.
A good strategy is to walk around with some flashcards. I have made my own where I simply write the word in the speakers native tongue on one side and the English version on the other. I always start with easier words and build towards the harder words. Students are much more likely to continue on once they have built some confidence after getting the first few words correct.
I also have some applications on my phone to use during these informal times. A simple program that shows a picture with the native language and English language equivalent is ideal. Especially when they can tap the word and hear the English version and repeat it for themselves. I managed to have a nice discussion with three students just the other day and they all enjoyed using the app. I learnt all their nicknames and made a great connection with all of them. I even learnt that one of the students has an ambition to become a lawyer! When I learn about the needs and interests of my students then I am so pleased as I can tailor the conversation to suit their goals and hobbies.
There is no better way to have students on your side when they know that you care about them. So use your free time wisely and interact with the students whenever you can in the playground!







No comments:

Post a Comment